A people walking together in the footsteps of the Good Shepherd
Our plan [Archdiocesan Plan 2016-2021] is more than a document. It will enable us to walk together on the pathway which we hope will deliver a Christ-centred, faithful, vibrant, welcoming, inclusive and mission-oriented Church, one which will enrich our own lives and the lives of all whom we encounter and seek to serve.
Most Rev Timothy Costelloe SDB
Archbishop of Perth
The parish is not an outdated institution; precisely because it possesses great flexibility, it can assume quite different contours depending on the openness and missionary creativity of the pastor and the community. While certainly not the only institution which evangelises, if the parish proves capable of self-renewal and constant adaptivity, it continues to be the Church living in the midst of the homes of her sons and daughters. This presumes that it really is in contact with the homes and the lives of its people, and does not become a useless structure out of touch with people or a self-absorbed group made up of a chosen few. The parish is the presence of the Church in a given territory, an environment for hearing God’s word, for growth in the Christian life, for dialogue, proclamation, charitable outreach, worship and celebration. In all its activities the parish encourages and trains its members to be evangelisers. It is a community of communities, a sanctuary where the thirsty come to drink in the midst of their journey, and a centre of constant missionary outreach. We must admit, though, that the call to review and renew our parishes has not yet sufficed to bring them nearer to people, to make them environments of living communion and participation, and to make them completely mission-orientated.
Evangelii Gaudium 28
(The Joy of the Gospel)
- Explanation Of Terms
- The Priest
- The Laity
- The Parish Pastoral Council
- Guidelines And Resources For Building Effective Parish Pastoral Councils
- Engaging With The Resource
- Becoming Familiar With The Content
- How did the concept of a Parish Pastoral Council develop?
- How did the Second Vatican influence the establishment of Parish Pastoral Councils?
- What does ‘by virtue of baptism’ mean?
- What else did the Second Vatican Council say about establishing Parish Pastoral Councils?
- What does the Code of Canon Law say about the role and function of Parish Pastoral Councils?
- As members of the Church what are we called to do?
- What is the theological framework for Parish Pastoral Council?
- What does Trinitarian mean?
- What does Communion mean?
- What does Mission mean?
- What does Subsidiarity mean?
- How does the Church proclaim the Good News?
- The Call to be Evangelisers
- The Call to be Missionary Disciples
- How is the Parish Pastoral Council called to proclaim the Good News and give witness to the world?
- What is a servant leader?
- How do Priests and Parish Pastoral Councils exercise servant leadership?
- How does a theological framework help in the role and function of the Parish Pastoral Council?
TWO GUIDING PRINCIPLES – COLLABORATION AND DISCERNMENT
COLLABORATION (Understanding of Collaboration)
- What are the scriptural foundations of a faith-based understanding of collaboration?
- What are the criteria for good collaboration?
- Why collaborate with other parishes and agencies within the Archdiocese?
- What are the steps to collaborative planning?
DISCERNMENT (Understanding of Discernment)
- What is the understanding of discernment in a faith community?
- What is the role of the Holy Spirit in the discernment process?
- Why is discernment an important process for Parish Pastoral Council?
- Why is listening important to the discernment process?
- What is collaboration for discernment?
- Why are their different groups within the Church with different spiritualties?
- What is Prayer?
- Why is it important to pray?
- Why is prayer an integral part of Parish Pastoral Council meetings?
- Is there a particular form of prayer to use at Parish Pastoral Council meetings?
- How do we include prayer in Parish Pastoral Council Meetings?
- Preparing an environment conducive to prayer?
ONGOING FAITH FORMATION
- What is ongoing faith formation?
- Why is ongoing faith formation integral to the Parish Pastoral Council?
- How can faith formation be included within the Meeting agenda?
- What are some strategies for ‘in meeting’ formation?
- What are some strategies for ‘outside meeting’ faith formation?
- How does the Parish Pastoral Council discern the formation needs of the group?
- What are some of the ways the Parish Pastoral Council can gather information about the formation needs of the group?
- What are some of the topics which may be useful for the formation of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- Where can I find resources to assist with the faith formation of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the role of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the function the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the makeup of the Parish Pastoral Council? (Membership)
- How do you identify/select (appropriate) members for the Parish Pastoral Council?
- How are members elected/selected to be on the Parish Pastoral Council?
- When is the best time for elections/selection to take place?
- What are some of the processes used for selecting and electing new members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What are some strategies for selecting new members onto the Parish Pastoral Council?
- The Nomination Process
- Selection of representatives from within the various parish ministries and organisations
- What happens if more nominations are received than there are vacancies?
- What happens if insufficient nominations are received?
- How can the parish elect new members of the parish Pastoral Council?
- Is it appropriate for the Parish Priest to appoint members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
A PROCESS OF DISCERNMENT IN SELECTING NEW MEMBERS OF THE PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL?
- Why is a process of discernment important when selecting new members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
COMMISSIONING OF NEW MEMBERS OF THE PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL?
- Why is it appropriate to Commission new members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the most appropriate time in the Mass for the installation or commissioning of the Parish Pastoral Council to take place?
- What are some suggestions for the for the installation or commissioning ceremony?
TRANSITIONS OF MEMBERS
- How does a Parish Pastoral Council tend to the transitions of members?
- What can we do when a member of the Parish Pastoral Council retires?
- What can we do to welcome new members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY OF OFFICE BEARERS
MEETINGS AND PROCEDURES
- Who is the President of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What happens when there is a change of Parish Priest?
- What is the role of the Chairperson?
- What is the role of the Vice Chairperson? (If appointed)
- What is the role of the Secretary?
- Who are makes up the Executive?
- What is the role of the Executive?
- What is the role of the members of the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the ideal number of members on the Parish Pastoral Council?
- What is the recommended length of service on the Council?
FORMING A NEW PARISH PASTORAL COUNCIL
- How do you form a new Council?
- What steps are important for establishing a new Parish Pastoral Council?
- Why foster relationships within the Parish Pastoral Council?
- Why foster relationships with parish committees?
- Why foster relationships with parishioners?
- Why foster relationships with parish school?
- Why is fostering relationships with all areas of the Archdiocese important?
- As a Chairperson how do I run an effective meeting?
- Prior to the meeting
- During the meeting
- What is the purpose of an agenda?
- Who is responsible for setting the Agenda?
- What are some tips for setting a good Agenda?
- How do I set out an Agenda?
- How do I know if an item is a matter arising or new business?
- When should the Agenda be sent out?
- What are Minutes of a Meeting?
- Why is taking minutes important?
- Who is responsible for taking the minutes?
- What do I need to record from the meeting?
- How do I write up the minutes?
- Tips for the Minute taker
- How do I set out the minutes?
- When should the minutes be sent out?
- Who is responsible for preparing the Annual Report?
- How can the Annual Report be communicated to the parish community?
- Calling a Community Meeting
- How do I conduct a Community Meeting?
- As part of the Parish Directory
- Parish Bulletin/Newsletter
- How can I manage the meeting time and agenda to get the most out of a meeting?
STRATEGIES FOR EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATION
- How do I deal with different personality types in meetings?
- How can I work with a meeting group to solve a problem?
- DROBE problem solving model
- What is conflict in meetings?
- How do I resolve conflict in a meeting?
OTHER USEFUL STRATEGIES
- How do I hold the interest of the group?
- How do I work to engage others?
- How do I start a discussion?
- How do I handle sensitive issues?
- How do I encourage participation and ownership of things to be done?
- What is the VISION for Parish and Archdiocesan Renewal?
- What are the GUIDING PRINCIPLES which gives life to the Vision?
- What is a ‘collaborative pastoral practice’ model?
- What is key to collaborative pastoral practice?
- What is the benefit of collaborative pastoral practice?
- What is the PROCESS for renewal using the collaborative pastoral practice model?
- What is the DESIRED OUTCOME for the Archdiocese and parishes?
- How will we know that this collaborative endeavour is bearing fruit?